• Wed. Dec 8th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review – Week ending 18th August

ByGer Kennedy

Aug 20, 2013

Clubs are reminded to text match details to 087 8104554 before 5:00PM on Sundays for inclusion in Weekend Review, some Clubs are not complying in full heretofore.

Premier Division League
Thurles Town and BT Harps clashed in this Premier League game played at Thurles Greyhound Stadium with a one all draw the eventual outcome. The home side hit the front in the 24th minute when Padraig Fogarty converted from the spot after Robbie Jordan was upended inside the box. The Templemore side pounced for the leveller six minutes after the re-start when Christy Moore was on target. Both sides had chances after this, however it finished stalemate at the full time whistle.

Cloughjordan defeated Lough Derg on a 5-2 score line in this league fixture played in Killaloe, the visitors held a 2-1 advantage at the half time whistle, but increased the intensity in the second half to run out comfortable winners in the end. Brendan Costello and Kevin Kennedy pounced for a brace apiece while Fred Williams was also on the scoresheet for the winners. The Lough Derg goals were scored by Damien McCarthy and Jason O’Brien.

Nenagh AFC were 4-1 winners over Moneygall on Friday evening, Ryan Gilmartin scored the opener with a flicked finish. John Mitchell made it two nil with a fine strike from the edge of the box. The lead was stretched to three after Roy Creagh’s header went all the way to the net and then a luckless home side conceded an own goal late in the half to leave Moneygall with an uphill battle in the second half. The home side rallied somewhat after the restart and pulled a goal back, however Nenagh AFC ran out comfortable winners in the end.

Nenagh Celtic romped to a nine goals to one win over an understrength Rearcross at Nenagh VEC on Sunday morning, Danny Ryan, Jimmy Hynes, Mikael Hynes, Mark Walsh, Jamie Kelly and Stephen Flynn were amongst the scorers for the hoops, Liam O’Toole scored the Rearcross consolation goal.

First Division League
Borroway Rovers played host to Kilcommon in this league tie played at the Thurles venue and led twice but had to eventually settle for a share of the spoils against a battling visiting team. Borroway hit the front early on with a Damien Grimes goal, however the lead was short lived as Gary Ryan was the provider to PJ Bourke who lashed home with a fine effort. Borroway Rovers went back in front with a Keith Moore header on the seventy minute mark. Kilcommon heaped on the pressure towards the end of the game and snatched a dramatic equalizer in injury time when Eamon Naughton got on the end of Tom Keane’s delivery to drive home from in front of goals.

Roscrea United ‘A’ dished out a heavy defeat to an understrength Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ on an eight goals to one score line in this league fixture played in Roscrea. The game was over as a contest at the midway stage after a rampant Roscrea outfit hit the visitors for five in the opening half. David McNamara and Paul Kirwan were the key men for the home side netting four goals apiece while the lone reply for Clodiagh Rangers was scored by Matt Ryan.

Ardcroney recorded a 4-2 win over Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ at the away venue last Sunday, Nigel Flood put the home side ahead, however Ardcroney re-grouped and went in with a 2-1 advantage at half time. Ardcroney were on top again at the start of the second half and tacked on two more quick fire goals to build up a commanding lead. The Hoops didn’t give up and Darren McGrath pulled one back with a converted penalty, however it was a case of too little to late on this occasion.

Nenagh AFC ‘B’ claimed the win against Arra Rovers ‘A’ on a 4-1 score line last Sunday, the Arra Rovers goal was scored by John Barry five minutes in to the second half.

Clonmore and Borrisokane finished level on a one all score line, John Doyle scored the Borrisokane goal.

Second Division League
BT Harps ‘B’ took full points against Templetuohy on a slender 2-1 score line in Templemore, David Fennell set the hosts on their way on the half hour mark. PJ O’Brien bagged an equalizer for the Killoran side five minutes after the re-start, however BT Harps had the last say when Darren Russell scored what proved to be the winner midway through the half.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ welcomed Portumna Town to Drombane for this Second Division league fixture which finished honours even at the end of ninety minutes on a two all score line. Clodiagh Rangers edged ahead courtesy of an own goal, however Sean O’Meara pegged it back level for the Galway side. It was end to end as Dylan Sheridan put the home side back in front before an in-form Sean O’Meara scored again for Portumna Town with twenty two minutes remaining. Scoring chances were limited after this and a draw was deemed a fair result on the day.

The winning ways continued for Streamstown Celtic with an emphatic 6-1 win over Ballymackey on Friday evening at the Roscrea venue. Ballymackey had taken a one nil lead thanks to a Rory Mounsey goal, however it was one way traffic after this as the home side cruised to an easy win. Wally Kirwan netted a hat-trick which was complemented with finishes from Craig Phelan, Roddy Teehan and a Gary Kenneally penalty.

Nenagh AFC ‘C’ were comprehensive 6-1 winners over a depleted Shannon Rangers at the Brickfields venue, the Blues held a one nil lead at the break thanks to a Mikey Duff strike. Nenagh AFC turned up the heat in the second period and raced in to a four nil lead with finishes from Benny McMahon, Steven Aherne and a second goal from Mikey Duff. The visitors pulled one back through Keith Kelly, however Nenagh finished strongly as Mikey Duff completed his hat-trick and then new signing Alex Rico copper fastened the win with a converted penalty.

Third Division League
Rearcross ‘B’ and Gurtagarry played out a two all draw in Rearcross on Sunday morning, the home side hit the front midway through the opening half courtesy of an Anthony Ryan goal. The sides went in level at the break after Billy Corcoran levelled from the spot on the stroke of half time. Rearcross were on top at the start of the second half and restored their advantage when James Deegan hit the target. The visiting side upped the ante and grabbed an equalizer through Dinny Corcoran to leave it all square at the full time whistle.

Roscrea United ‘B’ were at home to Noreside Celtic and played out a two all draw, Eddie Byrne shot Noreside ahead midway through the opening half, Tommy Porter doubled the away side’s tally, however Denis Conlon reduced the deficit seconds later. A tight finish to the game saw Niall O’Lone bag the equalizer for Roscrea Utd nine minutes from time.

Arra Rovers ‘B’ outplayed a depleted Nenagh Celtic ‘C’ on a winning margin of nine goals to one in Portroe on Sunday afternoon. Christopher O’Riordan was the ace marksman with four goals to his credit, Conor Ryan and Jack Keating chipped in with a brace apiece while Kevin O’Halloran was also on the score sheet for the home side.

Borrisokane ‘B’ came from behind to defeat Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ on a 3-1 score line in Borrisokane on Sunday morning. The visiting side had taken the lead with a James Coffey finish following good work by PJ Kennedy midway through the opening half, however Borrisokane scored three second half goals to decide the issue with the first coming from Michael Comerford on 55 minutes, Mark Rahmoune headed the home side ahead in the 81st and then Francis Kelly wrapped it up with a goal from a free kick in the 89th minute.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ had too much firepower for Holycross ‘B’ on a 9-2 score line. An in-form Dean O’Meara hit the net four times, Declan Barrett netted twice while the tally was made up by Andy Brennan, Niall Farrell and Joey Ward.

Lough Derg ‘B’ were on their travels for this league encounter against Sallypark ‘B’ and came home with full points on a 5-2 score line. Keith Stritch was on the mark twice for the Lakers while Eric Monaghan, Keith Conway, Noel McInerney were also on the score sheet for the visiting side.

Youths Shield
Clodiagh Rangers Youths progressed to the last eight of the Youths Shield with a two nil win over Arra Rovers in Newtown on Saturday afternoon. It was scoreless at the break, however the visitors upped the ante in the second half and secured the win with goals from Stephen Quinn and Toby Clancy.