• Tue. Jan 25th, 2022

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Second Division Shield Final – 14th April 2013

  • Home
  • Second Division Shield Final – 14th April 2013

Sudden death penalty shootout win for Holycross

Clonmore 0 – Holycross ‘A’ 0
(Holycross won 4-3 on penalties)

Holycross ‘A’ recorded a scintillating sudden death penalty shootout victory over First Division League winners Clonmore at a windswept Thurles Greyhound Stadium last Sunday when the sides finished scoreless at the end of normal time. The blustery conditions detracted somewhat from the encounter and it was Clonmore who held wind advantage in the opening half, although both sides lacked creativity during the early stages04-14-13 - Action Shot 3. A Kevin O’Dwyer free kick in to the wind was gathered cleanly by Clonmore custodian Michael Doyle with six minutes gone and then David Bourke fired a dead ball delivery in to the Holycross goalmouth where Tommy Deegan was unlucky not to make contact before Robert Quinlan collected. Alan O’Riordan’s free kick from distance on seventeen minutes was on target, however the Holycross wall stood firm to block out the danger. The game burst in to life fourteen minutes before the half time whistle when Mark Fogarty’s ball over the top saw Seanie Comerford race behind the Clonmore rear-guard, however the ball didn’t ball too kindly and the first real chance of the game went a begging. Clonmore responded two minutes later when Ray Doyle produced the trickery on the right wing before whipping in to Tommy Deegan who headed inches outside the upright. Ray Doyle threatened again two minutes later and then the Holycross custodian got behind an Alan Quinlan drive to make a clean block. The last action of the half saw Colin O’Meara jump highest on the edge of the six yard box to get a headed touch on Kyle Denny’s delivery, however the ball glanced wide of the mark. Clonmore held the upper hand in the physicality stakes, however Holycross showed the greater flair and a flowing move seconds in to the second half saw Dan Corbett link up with Colin O’Meara before David Joyce drilled over the target. Brendan Guider then sliced wide for Clonmore two minutes later. Edward Moore pushed forward to latch on to a Seanie Comerford corner kick and wasn’t far away in the 57th minute. The League winners had the ball in the Holycross net a minute later 04-14-13 - Action Shot 1when Alan O’Riordan chipped over the line, however the flag was already up for offside. Holycross should have taken the lead twenty minutes from time when Dan Corbett was in space in front of goal, however Michael Doyle narrowed the angle and made a point blank save. Edward Moore got forward again to get on the end of another Seanie Comerford corner kick, however the headed effort dragged wide. Scoring opportunities were limited in the remaining minutes and the imminent penalty shootout materialized as the sides finished scoreless at the full time whistle. Clonmore got off to the worst possible start missing their first spot kick while Alan O’Riordan was luckless to see his effort thump against the base of the upright. Kyle Denny opened the scoring for Holycross, however Kevin Dwyer’s peno was saved by Clonmore custodian Michael Doyle. Opposing number sevens were next up as Clonmore’s Brendan Guider slotted between the posts while his counterpart failed to convert to leave it tied one all with three penalties a piece taken. David Bourke and Paul Guider rattled the net for Clonmore while Seanie Comerford and Mark Fogarty replied for Holycross to set up a sudden death finale. Holycross keeper Robert Quinlan then saved Clonmore’s sixth before captain Dan Corbett stepped up to convert with aplomb to seal the win for an elated Holycross side. Clonmore were unlucky on the day but will re-group for the Second Division Cup Final against the same opposition in what should be an intriguing affair as the series is now tied on one a piece. Holycross were gallant winners on the day and were full value for a memorable victory, NT&DL Secretary John Murphy presented the Second Division Shield to Holycross captain Dan Corbett before the celebrations began in earnest.

Clonmore: Michael Doyle, David Bourke, David Costigan, Paul Guider, John Ryan, Michael Delahunty, Brendan Guider, Diarmuid Gleeson, Tommy Deegan, Ray Doyle(Capt), Alan O’Riordan
Subs: Lorcan Egan for Diarmuid Gleeson (55th minute)
Subs Not Used: Stephen Maher Coonan, James Moore, Martin Ryan, Peter Maher

Holycross ‘A’:  Robert Quinlan, Jerry Ryan, Mark Fogarty, Kevin Dwyer, Edward Moore, Seanie Comerford, Colin O’Meara, Kyle Denny, David Joyce, Dan Corbett(Capt), Jason O’Brien
Subs: Justin Shelly for Jason O’Brien(80th minute)
Subs Not Used: John Paul Buckley, Gavin Shelly, Padraig Doran, David O’Callaghan

Referee: Liam Kelly
Assistant Referees: Toddy Sweeney, Martin Goldsboro

04-14-13 - Shield PresentationShield Presentation
John Murphy (NT&DL Secretary) presents the Second Division Shield to
Holycross captain Dan Corbett surrounded by jubilant Holycross players

04-14-13 - Holycross TeamHolycross ‘A’ – Second Division Shield Winners

04-14-13 - ClonmoreClonmore – Second Division Shield Runners Up

04-14-13 - Captains OfficialsCaptains / Officials:
(L to R): Toddy Sweeney, Dan Corbett(Holycross Capt), Liam Kelly,
Ray Doyle (Clonmore Capt), Martin Goldsboro)