• Wed. Dec 8th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 1st September 2013

ByGer Kennedy

Sep 2, 2013

Premier Division League
Nenagh AFC made it three wins from three with a comprehensive six nil win over Sallypark ‘A’ at the Brickfields venue. The game was over as a contest at the midway stage after the Blues netted four first half goals from Ryan Gilmartin, Mark Cahill, Alan Sheehan and Thomas Sheppard. It was more of the same in the second half as Ben Banaghan got on the score sheet before Alan Sheehan netted his second of the evening to round off a great team display from the home side.

 Thurles Town inflicted a heavy defeat on Rearcross last Friday evening on an 8-1 score line. The opener came on 26 minutes after Rearcross were reduced to ten men for a handball infringement before Padraig Fogarty converted the resulting spot kick. It was two nil to the visitors nine minutes before the break after Padraig Fogarty rounded Sean Sheehy before side footing between the posts. Tom Kirby made it three just before the break with a back header which nestled in the net. It was four nil on the fifty minute mark when Jamie O’Connor scooped over the Rearcross custodian with the deftest of touches. Benny Connolly got in on the scoring act on 77 minutes after turning Robbie Jordan’s low belter to the corner of the net. The onslaught continued as the ball fell to Robbie Jordan on the edge of the six yard box who tucked the ball inside the upright to make it six with sixteen minutes to go. Further goals from Tom Brophy in the 79th and 85th minute capped of the rout for the Thurles side. Greg Kennedy crashed home a deserved consolation goal four minutes from time.

Nenagh Celtic defeated Cloughjordan on a 4-1 score line at Nenagh VEC on Sunday morning. The visitors had opened up a one nil advantage courtesy of a Dean O’Meara finish coming in the fifth minute, however Mark Walsh drew Nenagh Celtic level on the half hour mark with a superb free kick effort to leave it all square at the break. Hoops goalkeeper Aidan Herlihy produced a fine save shortly after the restart and then Christy Ryan edged Nenagh Celtic ahead with a well taken penalty. The home side dominated after this and stretched it to 3-1 with a Davie Walsh header before Craig Connolly finished off the scoring with a close range tap in following good approach play to give the home side maximum points on the day.

Moneygall were at home to Lough Derg and secured the win on a two nil score line, Brian Quinlan set the home side on their way with a twenty five yard free kick effort and then Billy McCormack doubled Moneygall’s tally with a close range shot to leave the hosts in control at the break. The Lakers tried hard in the second half, however Moneygall shut up shop to hold out for the win.

First Division League
Clonmore picked up their first league win courtesy of a 4-2 win over Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ at the Killoran Park venue. Peter Maher opened the Clonmore account after thirteenth minutes, the Hoops were back in the fray eight minutes later thanks to a John Paul O’Brien strike. Diarmuid Gleeson restored the Clonmore advantage midway through the half. The home side pressed again in the second half before Dinny Deegan made it 3-1 with a converted spot kick. Nenagh Celtic will rue not scoring from the spot after this, however full credit to Mikey Doyle who produced a splendid save. Peter Maher put the result beyond doubt with a well worked goal, Celtic battled to the end and were rewarded when Andy Nevin pull a goal back, however it wasn’t enough to deny Clonmore on this occasion.

Roscrea United had too much strength in depth against Kilcommon on a four goals to nil score line last Sunday in Roscrea. Paul Kirwan bagged the opener in the tenth minute and then David McNamara hit the target to leave Roscrea in control at the break. The home side controlled affairs again in the second half as Paul Kirwan made it three nil in the 65th minute and then John Cordial wrapped it up for the hosts fifteen minutes from time.

Ardcroney trekked to Portroe for this league fixture against Arra Rovers ‘A’ and played second fiddle on a 4-2 score line with all goals coming in the second half. The Portroe side were gifted with the first goal in the 50th minute when a fine save from Kieran Holland rebounded to the net off a luckless Ardcroney defender. The home side took full advantage and netted a trio of goals in succession through Cathal O’Brien, Tom Stapleton and Steven Kennedy. Ardcroney didn’t throw in the towel and responded with two late goals from Pat McLoughney and Jamie Gaynor, however it wasn’t enough on the day to thwart a strong showing from the home side.

Nenagh AFC ‘B’ maintain pole position at the top of the First Division League courtesy of a 5-2 win over Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ in Drombane on Sunday morning. The visiting side led three nil at the midway stage thanks to strikes from Birinder Singh, Tommy Martin and Lee McMahon and continued in the same vein at the start of the second half with further goals from Dylan Walsh and a second from Birinder Singh. Clodiagh Rangers chalked up two late goals through Tommy Stevens.

Borrisokane secured an impressive four nil away win over Borroway Rovers at the Loughtagalla venue. The visiting side made the brighter start creating the early chances and came close when Graham McMahon’s header smashed against the cross bar. The opener came on the twenty minute mark with a near post finish from Gary Power following good work down the left by Danny Butler. Borrisokane doubled their tally two minutes later when Danny Butler rattled the net with a crisp left foot twenty yard effort. The away side took a three nil lead to the break after John Butler hit the target from out on the left. Borroway tried hard in the second half but couldn’t find a way through and then John Butler scored his second of the day from the spot with ten minutes remaining to clinch the win.

Second Division League
League leaders Streamstown Celtic continue their winning ways with a narrow 3-2 win over Portumna Town at the Galway venue to keep their 100% league record intact. The home side got off to a flyer and went ahead with a Garry Hogan goal two minutes in to the tie. Garry Kenneally levelled matters on fourteen minutes with a goal from the spot after Shane Moloney was taken down in the box. The visitors went in front nine minutes in to the second half when Craig Phelan charged down a clearance before lobbing the keeper. Streamstown kept pressing and increased their lead to 3-1 when Wally Kirwan latched on to a long ball from Jason Ryan to finish with aplomb. Oísin Royston brought it back to the minimum for the hosts on 90 minutes, however it was a case of too little too late as Streamstown made it four wins from four starts.

Shannon Rangers travelled to Templemore for this League tie against BT Harps ‘B’ and left with all three points after recording a slender one nil score line. The home side adapted better to the blustery conditions and made the brighter start but were denied by some fine goalkeeping from Dan Reddan. Shannon Rangers upped the ante as the half wore on and had the ball in the BT Harps net following good work by Sean Moran, however the effort was disallowed. BT Harps should have taken a one nil lead to the break after the referee pointed to the spot, however the resulting penalty wasn’t on the mark. Shannon Rangers grabbed the all-important goal early in the second half when Sean Moran released Josh McKenna who skipped through two tackles before finishing to the bottom corner. BT Harps came back strong but were unable to breakdown a resilient a visiting side which had fine displays from Keith Kelly and Dermot Hogan.

Holycross ‘A’ romped to a five nil victory over Nenagh AFC ‘C’ at the Glenbane venue on Sunday morning. The home side were on the front foot from the off and were rewarded after twelve minutes when Callum O’Connor was quickest to react with a lobbed effort from outside the box which gave the advancing keeper no chance. A fortuitous goal made it two nil when Dinny Ferncombe’s effort rebounded to the net. The goal of the tie came five minutes before the break when a fine move saw Colin O’Meara send Kevin O’Dwyer down the right who beat two defenders before crossing to Callum O’Connor who in turn finished from close range. Holycross kept the pressure on as Tossy Comerford made it four nil with a headed goal from a Colin O’Meara delivery. The second half was a tame affair after Tossy Comerford turned provider to Callum O’Connor who completed his hat-trick with aplomb, Nenagh AFC to their credit tried to get back in to the game, however the Holycross defence was invincible on the day.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ had too much firepower for Templetuohy on a 6-2 scoreline in this league fixture played in Drombane. The hosts were 3-2 up at the break thanks to a Paul Shanahan brace and a good strike from Ailbe O’Donoghue while Templetuohy’s marksmen were Eugene Davy with a twenty yard effort and Tony Buston who headed home just before half time. It was one way traffic in the second half as Clodiagh struck for another trio of goals through Paul Ryan, Brian Carroll and Daithi Maher to seal the points.

Third Division League
Cloughjordan ‘B’ welcomed Arra Rovers ‘B’ to Cloughjordan for this league game played last Saturday and emerged victorious on a 2-1 score line. The sides were scoreless at the break, the Cloughjordan goal getters were Dean O’Meara and Andy Brennan who converted from the spot while Christopher O’Riordan hit the target for Arra Rovers.

Roscrea United ‘B’ remain unbeaten in the League following this 4-1 victory over Borrisokane ‘B’ on Sunday morning. Ger Reddan scored from the spot for Borrisokane five minutes in to the game, however Roscrea dominated after this and tacked on four without reply. Martin Harty helped himself to a hat-trick while Martin Loughnane was also on the scoresheet for the winners.

Sallypark ‘B’ made it back to back wins thanks to a three nil victory over Nenagh Celtic ‘C’ in Sallypark. The home side took a one nil lead to the break after Damien Brady rattled the net in the opening half. The Hoops worked hard to get back in to the game in the second half, however Mark Dwyer banged home a brace to put the outcome beyond doubt.

Holycross ‘B’ were at home to Rearcross ‘B’ and cruised to a 4-1 win over the visiting side. Holycross laid the foundation in the opening half and enjoyed a three nil lead at the midway stage thanks to a double hit from JoJo O’Meara and a well taken goal from Jason O’Brien. Rearcross stepped it up in the second period and pulled a goal back with the credit going to Joey Nolan, however the Glenbane side had the last say when an in-form JoJo O’Meara competed his hat-trick to copper fasten the win for the home side.

Gurtagarry secured their first league win with a hard earned one nil victory over Clodiagh Rangers in Latteragh. A tight affair throughout looked to be heading for a stalemate situation, however Conor Maxwell popped up to score the winner ten minutes from time to clinch the three points.

Lough Derg ‘B’ put up the biggest score of the day with a 7-2 defeat of Noreside Celtic at the Clare venue last Sunday. Noel McInerney started the rout with a hat-trick of goals coming in the 10th, 15th and 39th minutes. The Lakers continued to dominated as Keith Conway made if four nil two minutes before the half time whistle. Brian McInerney got in on the act thirteen minutes in to the second half with a stunning effort and then Keith Stritch’s volleyed effort further increased the lead. Noreside Celtic got some reprieve when Matthew Long scored 21 minutes from time, however a twenty five yard rasper from Seamus Monaghan rounded off the scoring for Lough Derg ten minutes from time, Ross O’Sullivan got a late consolation goal for Noreside Celtic.

Youths Shield
Lough Derg Youths overcame the challenge of Ardcroney on a 3-1 scoreline to make it through to the Final of the Youths Shield. The Lakers hit the front on the fifteen minute mark when Emmet Hanly headed to the roof of the net. Lough Derg kept the pressure on and made it two nil with a low effort from Jamie Stuart that went all the way to the bottom corner. Ardcroney were fast out of the traps in the second half and reduced the deficit inside the first minute through Kieran Langridge but were luckless after this with the woodwork denying the away side twice including a spot kick attempt. The home side clinched the win ten minutes from time when Jamie Stuart made it 3-1 after sending the keeper the wrong way to convert from the spot.

Nenagh AFC Youths ran out comfortable winners over BT Harps Youths in this last four game played in Nenagh last Wednesday evening. Chances fell to both sides in the opening twenty minutes, however it was the Brickfield’s side that went ahead when Birindar Singh’s corner kick was turned to the net by a luckless BT Harps defender. Ben Banaghan added a second soon after to give the hosts a two nil advantage at the break. Ryan Gilmartin pounced early in the second half to notch up Nenagh’s third of the outing. BT Harps upped the tempo and pulled one back with a Jamie Bergin finish, however the recovery was short-lived as Ben Banaghan scored again for the Blues. Alan Sheehan and Cian Darcy netted two more to leave the home side with an unassailable 6-1 lead, BT Harps didn’t give up and scored a late consolation goal through Dylan Loughnane.