• Wed. Dec 8th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 15th December

ByGer Kennedy

Dec 18, 2013

NT&DL Tipperary Cup
Shannon Rangers put it up to Lough Derg ‘A’ in this Tipperary Cup fixture before eventually losing out to the Premier Division team on a narrow 4-3 score line at the Ballinderry venue last Sunday. The home side made the better start and hit the front midway through the half with a smashing finish from Willie Cleary. The visitors responded with a long range effort from Jason Comley O’Brien and took the lead minutes later when a defensive error allowed Dermot McCarthy in to make it 2-1. A well contested half saw Lough Derg increase their advantage to 3-1 with a second finish from Jason Comley O’Brien. Shannon Rangers upped the ante brought it back to the minimum when Keith Kelly set Sean Moran through who finished with aplomb. It was end to end as Shannon Rangers restored their two goal advantage after Mates Veselka rattled the net. The home side didn’t throw in the towel though and set up a hectic finish when Darragh Haugh waltzed through before sliding the ball between the posts. Willie Cleary came close to forcing extra time, however it wasn’t to be for Shannon Rangers on this occasion.

Sallypark ‘A’ trekked to Drombane for a Tipperary Cup encounter with Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ and were full value for a four nil win over the home team. The Premier Division outfit were two goals to the good at the break thanks to Tosh Manicle and Gearoid Connors. It was more of the same in the second period as Eoin Ryan and David Young got amongst the scorers to seal a comprehensive win for Sallypark, although Clodiagh Rangers will rue two missed penalty opportunities in the second half.

Nenagh AFC ‘A’ were pushed all the way by a gallant Holycross ‘A’ before eventually emerging victorious on a slender 3-2 score line in extra time at the Glenbane venue last Sunday. Nenagh AFC took the lead after eleven minutes with a close range finish from Ben Banaghan. Holycross were well up for the challenge and pegged it back level when Kyle Shelly’s free kick was nodded on by Dinny Ferncombe to Jojo O’Meara who scored with a superb overhead kick. The Premier Division League leaders took a 2-1 lead to the break when a free kick was headed home by Thomas Sheppard from close range. Holycross were reduced to ten men on 55 minutes, however this strengthened their resolve as Dinny Ferncombe played Jojo O’Meara through who finished to the back of the net. Both sides had chances after this, however it finish level at the end of ninety minutes. Nenagh AFC got the breakthrough on 96 minutes when Ben Banaghan netted what proved to be the elusive goal.

Cloughjordan ‘A’ recorded a facile five nil win over Rearcross ‘A’ at Rearcross FC Grounds on Friday evening to book their place in the third round of the Tipperary Cup. Michael Costello set the visiting side on their way midway through the half, Kevin Kennedy made it two nil after finishing from a corner kick. Diarmuid Kennedy got in on the act with a double hit before Michael Costello completed the rout for Cloughjordan to give the visitors a comfortable win.

Borrisokane ‘A’ had too much firepower for Nenagh AFC ‘C’ on a five goals to one score line in Borrisokane on Sunday afternoon. John Butler opened the scoring for the hosts in the 19th minute before Joe Gleeson converted from the spot on the 25 minute mark to make it two nil. Borrisokane remained on the offensive as John Butler bagged his second of the outing. Nenagh AFC pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time. The home team were on top again in the second period as Joe Gleeson stepped up to convert again from the spot. John Doyle tacked on a fifth for Borrisokane with time almost up with a good strike from the edge of the box.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ were at home to Rearcross ‘B’ in this Tipperary Cup preliminary round game and prevailed over the away side on a two nil scoreline. John Deane edged the hosts ahead with a converted penalty twenty minutes in to the tie, James Feighery sealed the win on the hour mark with a well worked goal.

Gurtagarry came through this preliminary round against Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ on a two nil score line at the Latteragh venue on Sunday afternoon. Billy Corcoran set the hosts on their way with a superb effort from all of twenty five yards. Damien Delaney wrapped it up for Gurtagarry with eight minutes left to play after finishing from in front of goals.

Arra Rovers held the upper hand against Kilcommon in this Tipperary Cup fixture played in Portroe last Sunday. Arra Rovers were one up at the half time whistle after Kevin O’Halloran pounced on the twenty minute mark. A luckless Kilcommon outfit conceded an own goal to give the home team a two nil advantage. The away side rallied after this set back and Tom Keane brought it back to the minimum after being set up by Eamon Naughton. Arra Rovers turned in a strong finish as Paddy Flynn got on the scoresheet with twenty minutes remaining to clinch the win.

Clonmore advanced in the Tipperary Cup at expense of Ardcroney on a 7-1 score line. Dinny Deegan opened the scoring for Clonmore eight minutes in, Ardcroney got back level two minutes later courtesy of a Jamie Heffernan goal. Michael Delahunty restored the home side’s advantage seconds later and never looked back after this. Dinny Deegan was on the mark again with a headed effort before Tommy Deegan made it 4-1 with a well worked goal. The rout continued as Dinny Deegan completed his hat-trick with aplomb. Tommy Deegan stretched it to 6-1 just before half time to finish the game as a contest. Diarmuid Gleeson scored the only goal of the second half to cap of an easy win for Clonmore on this occasion.

Nenagh was the venue for the meeting of Nenagh AFC ‘B’ and Templetuohy with the home side progressing to the third round on a three nil score line. It was one nil to the Brickfields side at the midway stage after Oísin Fitzpatrick obliged on 23 minutes. Nenagh AFC enjoyed the better of the exchanges in the second half as Chris Ryan doubled the Nenagh advantage ten minutes in and then Jahar Singh made sure of the win the 58th minute to leave no way back for Templetuohy.

Ballymackey sailed in to the next round of the Tipperary Cup with a 5-2 victory over Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’. The Ballinree side got off to a flier when Timmy Fleming scored with just five minutes gone. An in form Timmy Fleming was on target again five minutes later. Denis Haverty stretched it to three nil on the half hour mark. The Drombane rallied somewhat and pulled a goal back through Paudie Ryan, however Timmy Fleming restored the Ballymackey before the break completing his hat-trick in the process. The visitors brought it back to 4-2 when Brian Carroll scored. It was game, set and match in the 81st minute when Conor O’Meara got in to knock between the posts capping of an impressive win for Ballymackey.

Thurles Town ran out comfortable winners with a 9-2 result over BT Harps ‘B’. Thurles Town netted six first half goals with a brace apiece from Tom Brophy and Robbie Jordan while Padraig Fogarty and Luke Jordan were also on the mark. Tom Brophy completed his hat-trick in the second half while a Padraig Fogarty penalty and a well taken Jamie O’Connor goal made up the tally for the winners. The BT Harps scorers were Johnny Doran and Willie Kavanagh who scored from the spot.

Premier Division League
Nenagh Celtic claimed maximum points with a four nil result against BT Harps at Nenagh VEC. The Hoops laid the foundation in the opening half after hitting the Templemore side for three on trot with Danny Ryan helping himself to a brace while Mark Walsh was also on the mark. Sean Healy copper fastened the win in the second half with an opportunist goal.

Third Division League
Noreside Celtic shared the spoils on a three all score line with Holycross ‘B’ last Sunday at the Holycross venue. Jason Quinlivan set the visitors on their way in the first minute, Tommy Porter got the second for Noreside in the 54th minute before Michael Costello rounded off the scoring for the away side in the 61st minute.

FAI Under 17 Cup
Nenagh AFC U-17’s made the journey to Athlone and came through a penalty shootout against Willow Park to advance to the next round. Nenagh were fast out of the traps and were one up after ten minutes when good play by Francis Munsterberg on the left saw the ball squared to Dylan Kennedy who tapped in from close range. It was two nil to the Blues when Cian Darcy unleashed a cracking strike from forty yards. The Athlone side replied ten minutes before the break, however Nenagh AFC quickly restored their lead with a Josh McCarthy free kick. Willow Part with wind advantage in the second half got it back to the minimum with a converted penalty. The hosts were back level on 66 minutes with a headed goal at the back post. The home side piled on the pressure after this and Nenagh keeper Paddy Dunne was in fine form with three top class saves. Extra time failed to produce a winner before Nenagh secure passage on a 4-3 score line in the penalty shootout and had their scorers in Josh McCarthy, Craig Hilmi, Cian Darcy and Dylan Kennedy while Paddy Dunne proved the Nenagh hero saving four penalties in the shoot-out.

Youths Cup
Ballymackey Youths and Clodiagh Rangers clashed in this high scoring Youths Cup game played in Drombane with Ballymackey shading it on a 6-5 score line in extra time. A Gearoid Murphy hat-trick in addition to strikes from Denis Haverty, Shaun Kevin and John McInerney made up the tally for the winners. The Clodiagh Rangers were Niall Grant who notched up a hat-trick while Rory Purcell and Loughlin Ryan were also on the mark for the Drombane side.